Welcome

I'm trying to right my wrongs, but funny these same wrongs helped my write this blog

GOD.



Yeezy season ain’t approaching, its here.

Unexpectedly, Yeezus dropped a few days early. My first impressions are that it is exactly what I thought it would be. Not the content obviously, but if you've been following ‘Ye in the media recently and if you've seen the snippets shown on SNL, you knew this was going to be a blunt, divisive album.

”I been a menace, for the longest”

As always, there is a melange of producer/features in tow, with Bon Iver’s Justin Vernon, Chief Keef and Frank Ocean getting a credit. The tracks produced by Daft Punk definitely give you that unmistakable French electro vibe.

Where were those G.O.O.D rappers? No shade, but Yeezy had the good sense to not let those boys anywhere near his studio.

Black Skinhead is my favourite so far. But I know, for the next few weeks, this album is going to played heavy in my daily rotation. Black Skinhead will make you want to kill that bitch in the office who keeps turning the aircon off. That dancehall beat will make a booty drop.
 “I’m in it” is pure bloodclat, and will make you do the dutty wine.
Interestingly “Awesome” which was debuted at the Met Gala Ball, didn’t make the cut.

“You see there’s leaders, and there’s followers
I’d rather be a dick than a swallower”

The album is peppered with religious epithets and brazen comparisons – calling himself the Michael Jordan of music, and a track named “I am a God”. Look, this is a Kanye record. So its going to be grandiose, its going to be angry, its going to be profligate, in both content and production. But this is different to MBDTF. Whereas that record was reflective and somber, this is angry and complex. Yes I’m a Kanye Stan. But you cannot deny that this man is one of the most evolved musicians around.

There ain’t one song that is even remotely radio-friendly. So what is this? Guerrilla marketing? Make it so underground and ‘accidentally’ leak it a few days before the release, so it ultimately makes a bigger splash than any publicity campaign could create? I don’t know.

Not a lot of people are going to ‘get’ this album. Especially those that yearn for the old Southside flow days of College Dropout. And I bet it’s going to be likened to 808’s and Heartbreaks, because well, its just not initially palatable. But that’s fine, and there is enough of that K.West swagger and verbal gems to remind you whose beats you are bumping on your daily commute (as if ANYBODY else in the world would rhyme in a French restaurant/hurry up with my damn croissants).

Yeah I copped the leak. But don’t worry, come June 18th, I’ll be buying 5 copies.

P.S. I’m going to Paris in 2 months. Might just use that croissants line...
P.P.S Here's the New York Times article that got everybody so hype 


Tracklist
1. On Sight (Produced by Daft Punk) [Malik Yusef, Rhymefest]
2. Black Skinhead (Produced by Daft Punk) [CyHi The Prynce, Lupe Fiasco, Malik Yusef]
3. I Am A God (Feat. God) (Produced by Daft Punk) [Hudson Mohawke, Justin Vernon, Malik Yusef, Rhymefest]
4. New Slaves (Feat. Frank Ocean) (Malik Yusef, Rhymefest)
5. Hold My Liquor (Feat. Chief Keef & Justin Vernon) [Alejandro Ghersi, Malik Yusef, Rhymefest]
6. I’m In It (Feat. Travis Scott) [Justin Vernon, Malik Yusef]
7. Blood On The Leaves [Hudson Mohawke, Tony Williams]
8. Guilt Trip (Feat. Kid Cudi) (Produced by S1)
9. Send It Up (Feat. King L) [Alejandro Ghersi, Daft Punk, Gesaffelstein]
10. Bound (Feat. Charlie Wilson) [John Legend]

No comments:

Post a Comment